Actions and Rallies:
19 July Actions – 10 Years Too (bloody) Long
On Wednesday 19th July 2023, it will be 10 long years since former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced that anyone seeking asylum who arrived by boat would be ‘never allowed to settle in Australia’ and would be subject to offshore detention. This resulted in the regime of cruelty under which thousands of men, women and children suffered years in appalling conditions in detention on Nauru and Manus Island. See further detail on background here
In the week of 19 July, we are calling for an End to 10 Years of Trauma:
- Bring refugees from PNG to safety
- Permanent visas for ALL refugees
- Replace the broken ‘Fast Track’ system
- End Offshore Processing
Listing of 10 Years Too Long Events ( 19 – 23 July)
- Canberra: Sunday 23 July at 1.00pm
Intersection of Northbourne Avenue/ London Circuit, Civic
Refugees in Limbo – Ten Years of Trauma Rally
Canberra Refugee Action Campaign – for details email firstname.lastname@example.org
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1320404255553566/?ref=newsfeed
- Sydney: Sunday 23 July 2023, 1.00pm – 3.00pm Sydney Town Hall
Rally – Labor’s refugee shame: Ten years too bloody long
Organised by Refugee Action Coalition (Sydney RAC)
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/251677744071258
- Armidale: Wednesday 19 July 2023 5.15-6.00 pm
Vigil – 10 Years Too Long
Central Park, Armidale (near the Rotunda)
Organised by Armidale Rural Australians for Refugees
Further detail email@example.com
- Blue Mountains:
Wednesday 19 July 1.00pm
Silent Vigil – outside Susan Templeman’s office in Lawson
Also social media campaign – what were you doing 10 years ago?
Organised by the Blue Mountains Refugee Support Group
Sunday 23 July
Vigil in Springwood
Organised by Grandmothers for Refugees
- Newcastle: Wednesday 19 July 4.00pm
Action at MP Sharon Claydon’s office
cnr Hunter/Auckland St Newcastle
Focus on the 80 refugees abandoned in PNG
Organised by Hunter Seeker Asylum Awareness (HASA)
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hunterasylumseekeradvocacy/
- Wollongong: Wednesday July 19th 3.00pm
Vigil outside Alison Byrrnes’ (MP for Cunningham) Office
74 Crown Street, Wollongong
Organised by Refugee Action Collective Illawarra
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/6579952985381111/?ref=newsfeed
- Melbourne: Wednesday 19 July 5.00pm, State Library of Victoria
Sing for Refugee Rights – 10 years too long
Organized by: Love Makes A Way
- Melbourne: Rally on Saturday 22 June 2.00pm, State Library of Victoria, Swanston Street Rally: 10 years too bloody long: permanent visas for all now
Organised by Refugee Action Collective (Vic)
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1326514034593412
- Melbourne: Vigil Action on Friday 21 July at 11.00am
Minister O’Neil’s office, 17 Atherton Road, Oakleigh
This vigil action will mark the 10th anniversary of the policy of Offshore Processing.
For further details contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alexandra: Vigil Wednesday 19th July at 10.00am Alexandra Rotunda
Organised by Alexandra (Vic) RAR
Enquiries : email@example.com
- Ballarat: Wednesday 19 July 11.30am – 12.30pm
11.30am Gathering at MP Catherine King’s office, Lydiard Street North
Followed by Vigil at Queen Victoria Square (opposite Town Hall)
12noon Alfred Memorial Bells will ring 10 time for 10 years of trauma Organised by Ballarat Rural Australians for Refugees firstname.lastname@example.org
Bendigo: Banner Making Workshop on Saturday 8th July and Vigil on Friday 21st JulyOrganised by Bendigo RAR
Banner making workshop on Saturday 8th July at 2.00pm – 4.00 pm Trades Hall, View St, Bendigo – this is for the Ten Years Too Bloody Long vigil
Ten years – too bloody long vigil on Friday 21st July at 4.30pm at the corner of Rosalind Park, opposite the fountain
- Brunswick: Sunday 16 July 12.00pm – 1.00pm 260 Sydney Road Brunswick Ecumenical Prayer Vigil – 10 Years Too Long
Come together to pray in lament and hope for refugees on the 10th anniversary of Australia’s offshore processing policy
Organised by Brunswick Uniting Church
Further detail: email@example.com
- Yea: Vigil Wednesday 19th July at 10.00am Main Street Yea
Organised by Alexandra (Vic) RAR
Enquiries : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brisbane: Sunday 23 July at 14:00 King George Square, Brisbane
Ten years too bloody long – rally for refugee rights
Organised by RAC Qld
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1425856138169019
- Cairns: Wednesday July 19 at 5.30pm Western Lawn Cairns Esplanade
Join our rally to end offshore detention and get permanent protection for all refugees.
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/945567223416975
- Hobart: Friday July 14 from 5.00pm – 6.00pm cnr of Murray and Macquarie Sts
The Tasmanian Refugee Rights Action Group will be holding their monthly honkathon on the 14th July with “10 yrs too bloody long ” and similar messages on placards
Hobart: Friday July 21 from 11.30am – 12.30pm cnr of Murray and Macquarie
The Tassie Nannas will be having their usual knitting vigil with “10 yrs too bloody long ” messages and postcards to sign. They will then make their way to Senator Carol Brown’s office to gather outside the office with placards.
Hobart: Friday July 21 at 12.30pm
Walk to MPs offices – leaving from Elizabeth Street Mall
Refugee Rights group and Tassie Nannas will walk to Senator Carol Brown’s office for a display of placards. A letter asking for the refugees from PNG to be brought to Australia will be delivered to Senator Carol Brown’s office. Letters will also be delivered to Senator Katryna Bilyk in Kingston and the Minister for Housing and the Homeless Julie Collins M.P.
- Adelaide: Wednesday 19th July 12.00pm – 1.00pm
Refugees in Limbo – 10yrs too long – Actions at MPs offices: all 12-1pm
21 Commercial Rd, Port Adelaide – Office of The Hon Mark Butler MP Office (J4RSA) – see FB event
232 Main S Rd, Morphett Vale -Office of The Hon Amanda Rishworth Office (J4RSA) – see FB event
70 Franklin St, Adelaide – Office of The Dept of Home Affairs (Adelaide Vigil) – see FB event
Actions organised by Justice 4 Refugees SA (J4RSA) and the Adelaide Vigil
The J4RSA Management Committee will also be sending letters/meeting with key MPs and Ministers, and we are asking our members/supporters to also send letters and meet with MPS.
- Perth: Saturday 22 July at 1.00pm Perth Cultural Centre
10 Years Too Long – Permanent Visas for All Refugees!
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/935122197746928
19 July 7 – 8pm (in Greece) (AEST 20 July 2am – 3am)
Thessaloniki solidarity action – Kamara
Australia’s Refugee Shame: #10YearsTooBloodyLong
Australia’s draconian and inhumane policies have been a terrible example across the world, not least here in Greece. Boat pushbacks are now part of the Mitsotakis government’s practice, and closed detention centres are being built on the Aegean Islands.
Organised by KEERFA:!KEERFA-Salonikis
Facebook event: https://facebook.com/events/s/australias-refugee-shame-thess/991606338701965/?mibextid=RQdjqZ
International Alliance Against Mandatory Detention group is encouraging solidarity actions outside Australian embassies and consulates (and/or in prominent places if no such embassy exists). Actions may be organised in London, Rome, Setubal (a small city in Portugal), and Los Angeles.
Facebook event: https://facebook.com/events/s/australias-refugee-shame-world/641352941270419/
- Attend an action – see listing here
- Organise a placard display (See Suggestions for placards , Coloured Placard ) or other action at the office of your Labor MP or Senator – see resources here
- Send a letter or email to the Prime Minister, Minister for Immigration, Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Foreign Affairs
Tell them no one should have to live in limbo for 10 years. All refugees in Australia need a pathway to safe and permanent resettlement – they need a safe and secure future. People seeking asylum need a fair and timely assessment process – not 10 years in limbo. People still held in PNG need the option of being brought here.
You may find the ARAN letter kit helpful – find it here
You can also send a postcard (download below)
Resources to support your local 10 Years Too Long action
- Poster template in colour. Two designs to choose from. Add the details of your event or action
Poster Design option 1 A3 Poster Design Option 1 A4
Poster Design option 2 A3 Poster Design Option 2 A4
- Double sided flyer for promoting your event – print as A5 or A4. You can add details of your event
A5 Design option 1 colour A5 Design Option 2 colour A5 Design option 1 B&W
A4 Design option 1 colour A4 Design Option 2 colour A4 Design option 1 B&W
- Leaflet to handout at your event (with more background and suggested action)
- Postcards to get signed at your local event (pdf version and word version)
- Suggestions for placards to display at your event
- Sample media release – for your local media
- Social media tiles – download here after 3 July – or follow the ARAN Facebook page
You might also like to support the ongoing Refugees Off PNG campaign – see details here
Regular vigils and actions
Please note: some regular street actions may have been suspended during the Covid-19 restriction period.
Past actions and events
ARAN’s archive of past events and meetings across Australia
• Palm Sunday 2023 National Day of Action
Find out more here
• Palm Sunday 2022 National Day of Action
Find out more here
• June 2021 World Refugees Day actions and events
Find out more on on the ARAN World Refugee Week page.
• NT: Darwin: Mass letter write-in
Tuesday 1 June 2021 6.30pm
Lucky Bat Cafe Nightcliff
• NSW: Sydney Grandmothers vigil
Tuesday 1 June 12.30-1.30pm
Sydney QVB vigil at the Queen Victoria statue
Bring your homemade placards if possible; banners will also be available.
• Vic: Geelong – Melbourne
Sunday 30 May 2.00pm
Combined Refugee Action Group (CRAG) community protest
Park Hotel Melbourne
Bring banners of support for the people locked in detention.
• Auswide: Government to rush through protection interviews
Take Action Now! Call Minister Andrews on (02) 6277 7860 and demand that she cancels this unfair and harmful decision and gives people reasonable and sufficient time to prepare their cases with legal support.
For background see:
Asylum seekers face ‘interview of their lives’ as caseload blitz launched
(The Age) 11 May 2021
Detained on Christmas Island, the Biloela Family needs your help:
Find out what more you can do.
Other Actions and Rallies
• NT: Darwin – Release the Darwin 7 Saturday rallies
End their indefinite detention!
Plus the weekly Home Affairs Protest
Every Wednesday lunchtime
Home Affairs Protests at 12.30pm
21 Lindsay St Darwin
Find out more on the Darwin Asylum Seeker Support
and Advocacy Network DASSAN Facebook page.
• Qld: Brisbane – Solidarity protest, free all the Medevac refugees
Friday 30 April 4.30pm
Permanency not poverty for those released
Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
(Grey Street Entrance (opposite ABC studio)
Find out more on Facebook Events
Refugees Action Collective (RAC) Qld
Meetings, Community Awareness & Education Events
• Auswide: ARAN member groups national discussion about the
July 19 actions 8 Years Too Long actions to draw attention to situation
for those refugees still on Nauru and in PNG after 8 long years.
Tuesday 25 May at 7.30pm
On zoom: message ARAN for access details
• NSW: Sydney – Grandmothers NSW Face to Face meeting
Thursday 17 June 10.00am
Pilgrim House 264 Pitt St. Sydney.
Due to Covid restrictions, numbers will be limited.
Details to come.
• Launch of The Oxford Handbook of International Refugee Law
Tuesday 25 May 6.00 – 7.00pm
Register on EventBrite
• Auswide: Grandmothers online event
Wednesday 19 May 1.00pm,
Refugee advocate Graham Thom has been working for freedom for refugees and advocating for their settlement here and in New Zealand. He is particularly worried about the increasingly dire situation of the Rohingya people and will share with us these concerns. Registration is essential for this meeting:
Community awareness and community education events are listed on the RAR calendar which can be searched on date, location (state) and key words.
To submit your calendar event via the ARAN website, add the details to the form below and click the ‘send’ button.
Publishing events on the calendar are at the sole discretion of RAR.
Submit details of your upcoming actions,
rallies, vigils and events
Send info about your upcoming events to email@example.com