Rallies for Refugees
Monday July 16 to Sunday July 22 2018
#FiveYearsTooMany #TwelveDeathsTooMany #Justice4Refugees
Urgent call from GPs for healthcare standards boost on Manus and Nauru
July marks five years for refugees sent by the Australian Government to Manus and Nauru. The situation remains urgent. On 15 June, Fariborz became the 12th person to die as a result of offshore detention. Until all the refugees and asylum seekers are brought to Australia, we will keep fighting to close Manus Island and Nauru.
Media Release from Academics for Refugees July 18 2018
19 July 2013 – Five Years Have Passed
Essay by Tanya McIntyre, DASSAN. Download a print version (pdf with footnotes).
Five Year film
Jessica Perini would like to share a film she made with filmmakers Arpita Sinha and Daniel Gregson about the 5 year anniversary. Download the film via WeTransfer.
More actions, campaigns, ideas and resources.
Watch this space for more rallies and vigils across Australia.
Monday July 16 2018
RAC Eurobodalla to join National Day of Action.
Tuesday July 17 2018
Buddies to hold vigil for refugees.
Wednesday July 18 2018
• Why these Ballarat grandmothers are taking a stand for refugees
•12 Empty Chairs: A Haunting Reminder of Detention Deaths, in Vigils Across Australia
• Vigil to draw attention to plight of refugees at Nauru and Manus Island
• Refugee tragedy of Manus Island and Nauru.
Thursday July 19 2018
• Refugee advocates target political leaders
• Protests mark five years of detention for Manus, Nauru refugees
• 12 Empty Chairs Symbolise the Grief of a Nation – 5 Years Too Long, 12 Deaths Too Many
• Empty chairs and footwear pairs in detention protest
• Vic vigils for offshore detention deaths
• More than 30 protesters in Hargreaves Mall called for better treatment
• ‘Five years too many’: Shoalhaven residents rally for refugees
• Manning and Great Lakes Rural Australians for Refugees vigil 2018
• Five years on, it’s past time to evacuate Manus and Nauru
• Armidale Rural Australians for Refugees holds Day of Mourning for detainees on Manus Island and Nauru
• Refugee advocates are protesting outside the offices of Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten
• Blue Mountains Refugee Support group holds vigil outside Macquarie
• Shameful anniversary: 5 years of offshore detention
• What is happening on Nauru should shock the conscience of every Australian
• ‘Five years too many’: Shoalhaven residents rally for refugees.
Friday July 20 2018
• Mourning those who have died in detention
• Five years of detention
• Manus anniversary: ‘It’s been five years of … misery’
• Call for evacuation of asylum seekers on Manus and Nauru
• Scrap boat turnbacks, unions tell Shorten
• Clearing asylum seeker camps is job half done
• Support for Refugees is Growing – But There’s Hatred and it’s Troubling,
• Wangaratta action made Front Page news.
Saturday July 21 2018
• Thousands rally in support of refugees – SBS
• Thousands protest Australia’s refugee detention policy
• Thousands rally in support of refugees – news.com.au
• Australians Protest Five Years of Offshore Detention Policy – NY Times
• Thousands rally against Australia’s refugee detention policy – Aljazeera.
Tuesday July 24 2018
• 50 Offshore Protests Occurred Around the Country To Mark the 5th Anniversary Of The “Pacific Solution” last week
• People in communities across Australia came together in recent days to mark the fifth anniversary of the policy that created offshore detention centres on the islands of Manus and Nauru.
• Residents call to ‘bring them here’
Wednesday August 1 2018
• Protest Outside MP’s Office Marks “Five Years Too Many”.
5 Years too long actions
Monday July 16
Ballarat RAR (Vic) kicks off #5YearsTooMany Campaign July 16-22 2018
11.00am Outside the office of Catherine King MP for Ballarat: walk to Queen Victoria Square.
Why these Ballarat grandmothers are taking a stand for refugees.
More than 30 people braved Ballarat’s cold seven degrees winter’s day to attend the rally. It started at MP Catherine Kings office and then at 11:30am all proceeded down to Queen Victoria Square in front of the Town Hall, spending 45 minutes being very visible to traffic and pedestrians.
Ballarat RAR and Grandmothers will also be at the Melbourne Rally on Saturday July 21 2018. Meet at 11.12 am Wendouree Station or 11.18am Ballarat Station.
Thursday July 19
Albany (WA) Denmark and Albany combined vigil
11am – 12 Noon outside the office of Rick Wilson MP for O’Connor.
345 Hannan Street, Kalgoorlie, WA.
Further information – email@example.com.
12 Noon – 1.00pm QEII Square on Dean Street.
1. 10.00am – 11.30am – Armidale Mall, Armidale.
2. 12:30pm – 1.30pm – University of New England.
3. 5.00pm to 5:30pm – cnr Marsh and Dumaresq Streets, Armidale
12 Noon Hargreaves Mall outside the office of Senator McKenzie.
10am to 4 pm outside the office of Tim Wilson, MP for Goldstein.
10.00am outside the office of Jason Wood, MP for La Trobe
3/16 Langmore Lane Berwick.
4.30pm – 6.00pm St Marks Anglican Church
11.30am – 12.30pm – outside the office of Josh Frydenberg MP for Kooyong
695 Burke Road Camberwell.
12 Noon-1pm – In front of the Market Building, Mostyn St, Castlemaine
4.30pm – 5.30pm – In Vincent Street near the ANZ Bank.
12noon – 300pm outside the Immigration Office (Cavenagh St, Darwin).
10.00am – 4.00pm on the lawn outside the Echuca Library
Echuca Moama RAR will hold a silent vigil with 12 Empty Chairs.
1.00pm-2.30pm, office of Malcolm Turnbull, PM & MP for Wentworth.
287-289 New South Head Rd.
Geelong (Vic) Rolling protest:
3:30 pm outside the office of Richard Marles MP for Corio (Yarra St, Geelong).
4:30 pm outside the office of Sarah Henderson MP for Corangamite (cnr Rossack Drive and Colac Rd Waurn Ponds).
5:30 pm – Highway lantern vigil, corner of Latrobe Terrace and Ryrie St Geelong.
AIRAR will be joining with SCRAR and CRAG outside Sarah Henderson MP’s office at 4.30 and then on the side of the Highway in Geelong.
For more details – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Great Western (Vic)
2.00pm 1477 Western Hwy, Great Western
2.00pm – 7.30pm Outside Hamilton Performing Arts Centre where the Film Society will be having its monthly showing of a film.
Return to the top of the page.
Jesuit Leaders stand in a respectful Circle of Silence.
4.00pm – 5.00pm outside the office of Kevin Hogan MP
61-63 Molesworth Street Lismore.
4.30-5.30pm office of Anthony Albanese, MP for Grayndler
334A Marrickville Rd.
Moonee Ponds (Vic)
12 Noon outside the office of Bill Shorten, Leader of the Opposition, MP for Maribyrnong Suite 1A, 12 Hall Street, Moonee Ponds.
Moss Vale (NSW)
12.15 – 1.30pm Leighton Gardens Argyle St.
5.00pm – 6.00pm in front of Newcastle City Hall, Kind Street, Newcastle.
12 noon – 2pm – Outside the office of Ann Sudmalis, MP for Gilmore
59 Junction Street, Nowra, NSW.
‘Five years too many’: Shoalhaven residents rally for refugees
(South Coast Register).
5.30pm – 6.30pm Centenary Square, Parramatta (Sydney, NSW) Church St.
3 minutes walk from Parramatta Train Station.
For information https://www.peoplejustlikeus.net/five_years_too_long_parramatta_vigil
2.00pm to 3.00pm 331 High St.
For information: email@example.com
Revesby (Sydney, NSW)
11am-1pm outside Coles Supermarket (Next to Revesby Train Station, Cnr of Dixon Lane & Blamey St, 20-30 Blamey St).
For information: https://www.facebook.com/events/377968192607294/
Another circle of Silence.
Rosny Park (Tas, East Hobart)
12noon – 2.00pm outside the office of Julie Collins MP for Franklin
18 Ross Avenue, Rosny Park, East Hobart.
Another Circle of Silence.
Sydney CBD (NSW)
Grandmothers Against Detention
12.00 – 2.00pm outside the office of David Gillespie, Assistant
Minister for Children and Families MP for Lyne 144 Victoria St. Taree.
Vigil held to draw attention to plight of refugees (Manning River Times).
Tweed Heads (NSW)Far north coast will support the Lismore Amnesty event
4.00 – 5.00pm at the office of Kevin Hogan MP 61-63 Molesworth St. Lismore.
12 Noon outside the office of MP Cathy McGowan, MP for Indi
117 Murphy Street Wangaratta.
N.B. Supporters from Wangaratta, Mansfield, Benalla, Beechworth, Albury Wodonga, Alpine and surrounding areas will attend the Wangaratta vigil.
12 noon outside the Office of Susan Templeman MP for Macquarie
299 George St Windsor.
BMRSG members, along with members of Grandmothers Against Detention of Refugee Children, also held a protest outside the office of Lindsay MP
10.00am – 1.00pm outside the office of Rowan Ramsey MP for Grey
45a Playford Ave. Whyalla SA.
4.00pm til 4:30pm 128 High St (outside the Coles’ supermarket car park in High St) Woodend.
Friday 20 July
5.00pm – 6.00pm King William end of Rundle Mall, Adelaide.
5.00pm King George Square
12 Noon outside the office of Dan Tehan MP for Wannon
73 Kepler Street Warrnambool.
Saturday 21 July
2.00pm Pilgrim Uniting Church with speakers Imran Mohammad who was on Manus and is now in America, Dr Paddy Mclisky from doctors for refugees, Claire O’Connor SC Barrister and human rights advocate. At 3.00 pm we move to the Mall to be a visible public presence.
10.00am Bridge Street Benalla.
2.00pm – 3.00pm Esplanade on the lawn near the stones (just south towards Fogarty Park).
1.00pm Commonwealth Ave.
Coffs Harbour (NSW)
10:30am Harbour Drive Coffs Harbour where the farmers markets are held. https://www.facebook.com/events/258299584954648/
2.00pm State Library.
More photos of the Melbourne Rally on RAC Victoria Facebook.
1.00pm Corner of Murray Street Mall and Forrest Place.
1.00pm Town Hall.
Sunday 22 July
7.30pm – 8.00pm St Johns Anglican Church Kerang.
3.00pm Wheeler Place.
Posters for Printing
Download and print these:
• Poster (12 Men)
• Poster (Call for National Action) .
Return to the top of the page.