ARAN Letter-Writing Network
March Letter Writing Kit – Raise the Humanitarian Refugee Intake
Why we think it is important to write letters on this issue:
- An increase in Australia’s Humanitarian Intake is urgently needed.
The numbers of displaced people currently seeking refuge are increasing.
The crises that are taking place in countries such as Ukraine, Afghanistan, Myanmar, Iran, and central and sub-Sahara Africa have resulted in more than 100 million people currently displaced around the world. That means that one in every 78 people on earth has been forced to flee their homes.
Despite this harrowing reality, in 2020, the previous Australian Government cut 5,000 places from Australia’s Refugee and Humanitarian Program – bringing Australia’s official intake to just 13,750 places annually. This is one of the lowest levels in 45 years, during a time when the need for resettlement has never been greater.
- The next Federal Budget is due in May 2023
When refugees are brought to Australia under the Humanitarian Intake, costs are incurred by the government and must therefore be included in the Federal Budget.
See background and suggestions for emails and a sample letter to ask for urgent action on this issue:
Click here for the PDF version Click here for the Word version
- Monthly online letter-kits – https://ruralaustraliansforrefugees.org.au/write-a-letter
- For information, email here
Past Letter Writing Kits (Word Versions)
Contact details for Federal Politicians:
Members of the House of Representatives
PO Box 6022
House of Representatives, Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
PO Box 6100
Senate, Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Anthony Albanese, Prime Minister
Phone: (02) 6277 7700.
Contact Form: https://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm
Clare O’Neil, Minister for Home Affairs
Phone: Canberra Office: (02) 6277 7860
Phone: Electoral Office: (03) 9545 6211
Contact Form: https://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=140590
Andrew Giles, Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs
Contact Form: https://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=243609
Phone: Canberra Office: (02) 6277 7770
Phone: Electoral Office: (03) 9404 1911
Peter Dutton, Leader of the Opposition
Phone: not yet available
Karen Andrews, Shadow Minister for Home Affairs
Phone: not yet available
Dan Tehan, Shadow Minister for Immigration and Citizenship
Contact Form: https://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=210911
Phone: not yet available
Also, send a copy of your letter or email to your local Member of Parliament.
Letters to Editors
Below are the major capital cities newspapers, but also write to your local newspaper.
- National – The Australian: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sydney – SMH: email@example.com
- Melbourne – The Age: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brisbane – The Courier Mail: https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/letter-to-the-editor
- Adelaide – The Advertiser: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/opinion/letter-to-the-editor
- Perth – The West Australian: email@example.com
- Hobart – The Mercury https://www.themercury.com.au/news/opinion/letter-to-the-editor
- Northern Territory – NT News: https://www.ntnews.com.au/news/opinion/letter-to-the-editor
- ACT – The Canberra Times: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Canberra Refugee Action Campaign: Letter-Writing Campaign
- Combined Refugee Action Group: Letter Blitz Group
- ARAN Letter-Writing Network: Email: email@example.com
- Tips on writing to politicians
- How to contact your local politician AND BE HEARD
- ABC News – 6 Dec 2017
- Leanne Minshull from the think tank, Australia Institute Tasmania, says that contacting politicians can and does bring about change.
CHRISTMAS CARDS FOR POLITICIANS
Send a message calling for compassion for refugees
Encourage your friends and family to join you in taking this small action for refugees.
See below links to a selection of postcards you can print off and mail to your local MP and/or Minister Andrew Giles and Minister Claire O’Neil c/- Parliament House, PO Box 6022, Canberra 2600
Find the address for your local MP here: local MP Find your federal MP here
Sheet of 4 postcards to print off (with Parliament House address for Ministers )
Sheet of 4 postcards to print off ( address blank for mailing to local MPs)
Foldable card – black and white – add your own message and send in envelope.
Foldable card – colour – add your own message and send in envelope.
OR… just send a Christmas EMAIL to politicians – Family Reunion for Refugees Word doc (Xmas – Email Postcard instructions)
Just Copy and Paste the picture and text below into your email or write your own message.
- Prime Minister – copy into contact formhttps://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm
- Minister for Home Affairs clare.oneil.MP@aph.gov.au
- Minister for Immigration andrew.giles.MP@aph.gov.au
- your local MP Find your federal MP here
- all your State Senators – find the email contacts for your federal senators – by state – on this page:https://aran.net.au/resources/letter-writing/
This Christmas thousands of refugees in Australia remain separated from their families.
This must change. Give refugees permanent visas and allow them to reunite with their families.
Australia’s cruel treatment of refugees must end.
Make the change now.
Refugee Rights are Human Rights Refugee Rights are Human Rights Free the Refugees Printable Postcards These are pre-addressed; four to a page. Download the image to print and send to your favourite MP. Don’t forget to add your name, address and a postage stamp. Home to Biloela Postcards
Home to Biloela Postcards Printable Postcards These are pre-addressed; four to a page. Download the image to print and send to your favourite MP. Don’t forget to add your name, address and a postage stamp.
Onshore Detention Conditions Download and print A4 x 4 Postcards – Onshore Detention Conditions Iraqi Interpreters postcards – A4 x4 Download and print A4 x 4 Postcards – Iraqi Interpreters postcards – A4 x4 or download a single copy you can tweak and paste into your email. 2019 e-Xmas card – download, copy and paste into your email to your favourite MPs and Senators. Feel free to use this image in emails to politicians at Christmas – calling for the Biloela family to be freed. (Thanks to the Grandmothers and – Jack Chadwick for this e-Xmas card) Postcard Calling For Family Reunion – download, copy and paste into your email to your favourite MPs and Senators. (Thanks to Justice for Refugees) #Save Medevac Postcards – print and send to Senators in your State #toNZ Postcards provided by Rural Australians for Refugees – #toNZ Postcards – use for Prime Minister – #toNZ Postcards – use for Members of Parliament – #toNZ Postcards – use for Senators Biloela Postcards Let us go Home to Biloela – use for Members of Parliament Let us go Home to Biloela– use for Senators