Sunday 24 March
Actions will be held right across Australia. This year organisers are encourage in incorporate a Walk into Palm Sunday actions, to contribute ‘virtual’ kms to the BigWalk4Refugees. See more information here: link to be provided
Please make sure you email here with a short description of the action you are planning in your area. This will be added to the listing below.
Justice for Refugees Palm Sunday actions and events raise public awareness of the difficult situation for many refugees and people seeking asylum in Australia.
Be a part of the 2024 National Day of Action on Sunday 24 March, calling for Justice for Refugees and Permanent Protection for All Refugees (#justice4refugees #PermanentVisas )
Take Action and join the call for an end to the cruel and harmful policies that have been in place for far too long. All people seeking protection as refugees need to be treated fairly and with compassion. See more detail in the Background Information
Even if you can’t attend an event, you can take action online to support the call for Justice for Refugees: Send a letter, email or postcards to MPs and Senators.
The ARAN committee will
See below postcards you can print to print and also suggestions for letter writing.
Palm Sunday Events will be listed here:
Email details of your event to be added to this list email@example.com
- Canberra – Palm Sunday Rally: Permanent Visas for All
Sunday 24 March 1.00pm Garema Place, Civic
- Sydney – Palm Sunday Rally and March – PEACE not WAR – Permanent visas for refugees
Sunday 24th March 2.00pm Belmore Park – (near Central Station, march to Victoria Park)
- Melbourne – Walk for Justice and Peace
Sunday 24 March 10.30am – 12.30pm
Meet at Parliament Gardens, Spring Street
Walk to State Library, Swanston Street
Refugee Advocacy Network Victoria
Find out more on Facebook Events
- Brisbane – Palm Sunday Rally for Peace and Refugees
Sunday 24th March 3.00pm King George Square
Find out more on Facebook Events
Plan your local event
The following templates and resources will be provided to assist you in planning and promoting your local Palm Sunday activities. We hope to have these ready for download by mid- February.
- poster template, information leaflet, postcards and sample letters to send to politicians, draft media release, video clips and memes for social media.
ARAN will also work towards national media coverage for the National Day of Action prior to Palm Sunday. If you are organising an action or event and would like your event listed in the media release, please send details no later than 10 March – make sure you include a phone contact for media contact.
On the day – please share photos and highlights on your social media and share the ARAN Facebook page posts.
Ideas for planning your actions:
Link up with other social justice groups in your area to plan a simple action. See below resources to help you publicise your event including poster and leaflet.
Some ideas you might want to consider are:
- A Walk for Justice through your local town – invite school groups, church and faith groups, refugees in your community and your local councillors to join the Walk – register here (link available from 10 Feb) to join the BigWalk4Refugees
- Choose a prominent place in your town and do a standing display of posters, placards and banners – take photographs and video and share on social media
- Print postcards and encourage people to send to politicians
- Plan a mini concert to draw attention to the issue of justice for refugees
- Invite local churches to include a prayer for refugees in their services, put a message on their outdoor noticeboards – eg Welcome Refugees, Justice for Refugees, or display a banner – see more resources for churches below
- Run an information session at your local school/s or library – invite a refugee to speak, and / or a refugee advocate
- Don’t forget to invite your local media to your event ! Sample Media Release: Use this as a starting point and make changes to include details of your local action to promote to your local media. Don’t forget to add your group’s name, a contact person’s name plus their mobile number. A sample media release will be posted here.
Social Media & Online Actions
Follow the ARAN Facebook page and share posts and information through your network.
Sign the ASRC online letter urging politicians to give permanent visas to refugees. Take Action Now
Right now, thousands of people who came for safety over a decade ago are being denied a clear pathway to the permanence they need to rebuild their lives.
When the last government stacked our refugee system against people who crossed the sea in search of safety, they called their system “fast track” – but it wasn’t fast, and it wasn’t fair.
It robbed people who came for safety of the chance to have life and death decisions checked in a fair way. A decade on, thousands of men, women and children have been left living in fear of being taken from the towns and suburbs they’ve called home for a decade or more.
Make a donation:
Donate to help Brigidine Asylum Seeker Project to support people seeking asylum with housing and essential living expenses Donate here
Donate here to support the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre so they can continue their work in supporting refugees and people seeking asylum.
Lobby your local MP
Request a meeting, send an email or write a letter to Labor MPs, the Prime Minister and senators
See points below in the Background Information at the bottom of this page.
See below the Background Information on the issues to raise with your local Labor MP and the Labor senators for your state. We suggest you focus on Labor and progressive Independent MPs and Senators. Contact details for all MPs and Senators are on the Australian Parliament’s website.
Action by Faith communities
Call for Justice for Refugees in Palm Sunday services:
An information sheet to share with your congregation in the lead up to Palm Sunday will be provided. See below suggestions and material for services on Palm Sunday.
- Display a Justice for Refugees poster on notice-boards/newsletters of places of worship – download on this webpage
- Print copies of the Palm Sunday leaflet on this webpage and have available for your parishioners
- Ask your members to take action online and attend local events – see details on this webpage
- Print postcards and encourage people to send to politicians – see on this webpage
- Ring the bells for refugees. It’s important to let people know why you are ringing the bells!
- Hang a banner outside your church to show your community you welcome refugees – You can order a Justice for Refugees banner. See details on how to order here.
Resource for Christian schools – to be added
Palm Sunday is the day to come together and stand up for Justice for Refugees.
Detail to be added shortly.